Positive Parenting


Recently I came across a short story about a little girl. The girl and her father were crossing a bridge. The father asked his daughter, “Please hold my hand so that you don’t fall into the river.” The little girl said, “No, Dad. You hold my hand.” “What’s the difference?” asked the puzzled father. “There’s a big difference,” replied the little girl. “If I hold your hand and something happens to me, chances are that I may let your hand go. But if you hold my hand, I know for sure that no matter what happens, you will never let my hand go.”

This small story gives a very big message. Most of us will agree that children today are practical, focused and mature than the previous generation. They trust us and follow us on many occasions. They realize many small things that we do or don’t do for them. Parents have a great impact on their children and children do tend to grow up like their parents. Research has shown that parents are powerful role models for their children.

Parents play major role in how children turn out. “Seeing is believing!” What kids see, they believe and they become. In our effort to become a ‘good parent’, we forget the thin line between needs and wants. We fail to differentiate between doing and overdoing. Parents must learn to say NO when need arises. Let children be cognizant of your beliefs and values. Children watch our actions in terms of what do we attend and what we ignore. That helps them to make choices in various situations. To understand it better, read the famous poem by Mary Rita Korazen...

When you thought I wasn't looking...

I saw you hang my first painting on the refrigerator,
and I immediately wanted to paint another one. 

I saw you feed a stray cat,
and I learned that it is good to be kind to animals.

I saw you make my favorite cake for me
and I learned that little things can be the special things in life.

I saw you make a meal and take it to a friend who was sick,
and I learned that we all have to help take care of each other.

I felt you kiss me good night and I felt loved and safe.

I saw you take care of our house and everyone in it
and I learned we have to take care of what we are given.

I saw tears come from your eyes
and I learned that sometimes things hurt, and it’s all right to cry.

I saw that you cared and I wanted to be everything I could be.

I watched you, and I learned most of life's lessons I need to know to be a good

and productive person when I grow up.

I looked at you and wanted to say thanks
for all the things I saw you do when you thought I wasn't looking.

Each one of us can influence the life of a child.It needs conscious efforts from our side to leave a positive impact on them. Try to see the experience from a child’s perspective, efforts will come from within!

In this New Year, let’s be ‘Positive Parents’ and go an extra mile to bring a smilešŸ™‚


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Adieu 2018

Take That Pause…

Two Decades at DSRB…